For those of us who are unable to watch the show exactly on Sunday evening.
Admittedly, I will be watching it on Monday evening so I only have to last about 12 hours. Here is my own personal list of ideas for how to avoid Game of Thrones finale spoilers tomorrow:
- Obviously, OBVIOUSLY! No social media. Usually my Instagram is safe but the finale is such an event that I don’t trust anything. No Twitter, no Instagram, no Facebook. And no YouTube, because in addition to avoiding spoilers I’m deeply uninterested in analysis videos. The problem is what to do with the time you usually spend on social media. As I’ve learned by staying off Twitter every other Monday during this season of the show, I do need to be mindful of what I’ll do when my thumb reaches for that harmless-looking icon.
- Podcasts + Tidying Up. Give your brain something to do by listening to a podcast you can check in and out of, and give your hands something to do by tidying up your workspace. I find The High Low hosts’ discussion format perfect for when you need a 5-10 minute break from work. Giving you time enough to make a hot beverage, tidy up your space, refresh your brain, and engaging enough to keep you off social media.
- Fantasy Shopping Bag. Head to an online store of your choice and spend a few minutes filling a shopping bag without looking at the prices. It doesn’t matter what kind of store – clothing, beauty, shoes, yoga mats, bicycles, power tools – the only thing matters is your imagination unbound by real-world considerations like money. Lately my own fantasy shopping bags have been full of skincare products.
- Good Ol’ People-Watching. Find a window, or if you have the time and opportunity actually go outside, and just watch what happens around you. I like watching people cycling along my street and seeing all the different ways people have their bikes set-up. As I mentioned before, my absolute favourite are parents with multiple children secured to one bike. Physical life is still much more interesting than life online. A particular bonus for me is that my cat’s favourite hobby is looking out our windows too, although he does growl at the people going by.
- Edit Your Phone’s Photos. If I just need to be on my phone and I don’t have access to the internet this is my go-to activity, so it is also useful for pretending I have no internet. I have an embarassing 5,175 photos on my phone, most of which are completely delete-able. Your future self will thank you for taking five minutes to free up storage space on your phone instead of putting yourself at risk of seeing spoilers.
- Watch Game of Thrones. Let’s say Monday is your day off and you don’t want to spend the day stressing out about spoilers before you watch it in the evening with your partner/roommate/friends. Pick your favourite 10 episodes thus far, watch them in order. By the time you’re done it’ll be time for the finale.
And if you’re one of those people who can and will watch the finale on Sunday evening, and if you’ve read my post thus far, please don’t be the dick yelling “Snape kills Dumbledore” for the rest of the world.